Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Children

I love nap-times. Today while Gideon was asleep I laid down with Steele. It was a bit of a battle at first, but he gave in and eventually crawled up next to me so he could cuddle with Lily. After he fell asleep I had the opportunity to lay there and ponder. The house was quiet and I knew I had better take a chance to enjoy it, so I didn't move.
As I pondered I looked over at Steele and started to cry. (I'm sure the after-pregnancy hormones didn't help.) I understood at that very moment why my sister has 6 children, why my mom has 9 children and why some people have 18. They are wonderful! They are sweet, forgiving, teachable, honest, loving, pure, innocent and God-like. There is nothing better than to see them learn and grow and yet I am humbled every time I lose my temper and they are so quick to forgive me for it. I know I am blessed and although chaos awaits me at every turn and I at times I feel like I'm going to lose my mind, I still know that I love my children and that they love me.
On my Facebook page I have a quote from Elder Russel M. Nelson that was taken from a talk he gave at a conference in the Netherlands on Families. He says, "Our children are our wealth; our children are our strength; our children are indeed our future!"
I feel like this says it all. I am not a rich woman when it comes to money especially now that we have three children that have monetary needs. However, each child is a wealth untold and I have three, making me very rich indeed!
As for strength, thanks to my children I have become better at praying and reading my scriptures because I know that they are watching. It says it all when you turn around and your 3-year-old is bowing his head over a bowl of cereal in the morning and silently praying.
Finally and possibly my favorite, "children are indeed our future". I know that our posterity depends on us having children. How sad would it be to grow old without having someone to love you. Plus, our children bring grandchildren and from what I understand, grandchildren are the best!
I guess to summarize this entry, I love children- every shape, size and personality and "happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them."

7 comments:

Nick and Ashley said...

So, being prego right now I have to say I like children better out then in. ;)
Hello Lilly! Your family is getting bigger. So sweet! Don't you love having a girl? I absolutely love it, and am excited for another one.

Kaylee Baldwin said...

That was good to read, Mary.Sometimes I think about all the potential my children have while they are sleeping and not driving me crazy-- and I am blown away.

Corinne said...

You guys are such a cute family. I was just showing Klint the pics of your kiddos and we are amazed how much Steele looks like Wes, and Gideon looks like you. We think Lilly looks more like Wes, but it's always hard to tell when they are so little. One thing is for sure...they are all ADORABLE!!! We love you guys! Here's a hug from the Webb fam to yours.

Turleygirl said...

Mary, that was just beautiful. I couldn't agree more.

Holly Janeen said...

so glad i found your blog.
and i have tons to say.

1. i love your life.
2. i love this quote and entry... it totally encourages me
3. thanks for your example.
4. i LOVE your house.
5. the picture of you and Wes at the top- YOU LOOK HAWT.
6. yeah, i have thought about trying the tub thing during labor... wanna both try next time? haha!
7. you rock.

maccam said...

You are such a wonderful mom Mary! Love, Cam

Amber Bryce said...

Thank you for this post! I definately agree that children are a great blessing, but I'm also glad to know that I'm not the only one who loses her temper. Dallen sure gives me plenty of opportunities to practice patience! Your kids are so sweet. Can't wait to see Lily in person!