Saturday, August 8, 2009

A Few Projects

It has been a few months since I have posted anything on our blog, but this entry will explain and show why.
This is Neal Palmer and Steele. I love Neal, he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He came over a few weeks after we moved in and helped us clear out an old tree in our backyard. Steele had a blast watching him and then getting out in the midst of the damage. These are two of my favorite pictures of Steele and Neal working on the tree. (It was a monster.)















These next pictures are of our biggest project- our kitchen. Other than a little electrical and plumbing help (and an occasional extra man to lift the sink and countertop) Wes and I did this all on our own. I would put the cabinets together (we had to start from scratch) and then Wes would hang them.
We also hung the door. The old opening had to be torn out and we put the new door and frame in a few days ago. It took a good hour and a half to do because neither one of us had ever done it, but after installing cabinets, lights, a toilet, wood flooring, baseboards, trim, etc. we realized we could at least learn how to hang a door.:)

This first picture is a before- we had old avacado green sink and appliances with cream cabinets and blue trim. Let's just say this kitchen hadn't seen a facelift since 1960.
I designed the kitchen with some input from others (it took me months) but after much planning we moved the fridge down the wall, added a pantry on the other side of the fridge (thank you Karen) and extended the countertop to have a bar. It was well worth the work and wait of not having a kitchen for a few months because I love it now. My favorite part of all, my country sink, it is HUGE!
This has been a tremendous blessing for us as well. We have truly seen the hand of our Father in Heaven as we have been blessed with things we wouldn't have been able to afford and also with good friends who were willing to help us out.

These last pictures are of our living room. I still have to get curtains and hang a few more things, but other than that we are done in there as well.
So here's the before...And the after....
There will be more to come. We have actually finished the boys room and the dining room, but I need to take pictures. We still have to re-tile our guest bathroom and put a new toilet in, but other than that it's almost done as well. So hopefully I will have some more projects to share soon.
Thanks to all who have helped and supported us as we have worked so hard to make our house a home. I can't wait to have everyone over for games and a BBQ! And a special thanks to my hubby who spent his entire summer working on the house...I love you!!!

17 comments:

Class and Sass said...

Oh Mary! I love turning things around in a home! You have done such a good job! Love the kitchen counters! JEALOUS!!

Kaylee Baldwin said...

Wow, your house looks amazing! You guys did a great job. It puts my decorating to shame. I need you to come over here and help me! Did you already have all that furniture? It looks so nice. I'm excited to see it this week.

Jaymie and Donna Jones said...

Your Home is gorgeous!!! I love it. you guys did a great job.

Angela said...

Looks beautiful! You did a great job!

Corinne said...

You guys are so amazing! What a project. It looks so beautiful! Now I know who to go to for house ideas if we ever get one :)

The Filhart Family said...

Thanks everyone! But I can't take all the credit on the decorating ideas...I love HGTV and when I had to take it easy with my broken foot in May I watched a lot of it.

Jacob and Meredith Hammond said...

Great job! It looks awesome!!! I am in love with your kitchen.

Amber Bryce said...

Wow Mary, your house is beautiful! You guys did a great job! I hope I get to see you (and maybe the house) next weekend.

M Evans said...

Wanna come do mine now? It looks fabulous!

Diane said...

it looks awsome.. i love it! i'm very jealous of all the upgrades. my kitchen is still from the 70's! well, we've added a new stove, tile, and dishwasher.. but the cabinets and layout suck!

Katie said...

Your kitchen is AMAZING! I love LOVE LOVE the green you chose. Come do my kitchen please. =)

David G. Filhart (a.k.a. the Davey Baby) said...

WOW!!! That is le bombastic! Skills!!!

Flip Flop Tans said...

I love your house! That is adorable, you guys did a great job! (I'll have to come visit some time!) :)

Tina said...

It is absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to see it in person! Congratulations!

The Ulrich Clan said...

It's about time you post something!!! It turned out great! One of these days we will actually be able to come and see the finished project when you are there and we don't have to look through windows...better get those curtains we were talking about! Just kidding! You should be proud of yourselves! There's nothing better than the feeling that comes from accomplishing something and knowing you did it yourself! Great Job Wes and Mary!

Tiffany Matthews said...

Your house is great I love your kitchen you did such a great job.

The Thompson's said...

Everything looks great! You guys did an awesome job! I think your house is looking better than ours. Our home is only three years old and we still haven't painted the walls. We haven't even done much decorating either.