Friday, March 28, 2014

Desires and Appetites

Recently I've heard someone say, "Why should I control my desires? It's a natural urge and nothing to feel guilty about". This question was not directed towards me, but it made be think about how I might answer it. Tonight I found that answer in the talk Decisions for Eternity. In regards to controlling our desires/appetites Elder Nelson states, "A pivotal spiritual attribute is that of self-mastery—the strength to place reason over appetite. Self-mastery builds a strong conscience. And your conscience determines your moral responses in difficult, tempting, and trying situations...When we master our appetites within the bounds of God’s laws, we can enjoy longer life, greater love, and consummate joy."

I will be the first to admit that I am a work in progress and that I am still trying to "master my appetites", but I will also admit that at a young age I was able to control certain desires and I truly believe that because I learned this early on it led me to the point where I am now...and I kind of like this point.

For example, most of my early life I grew up overweight with a great appetite for food, especially junk food (I REALLY liked it!). A lot of the time food was a way to fill time, a comfort and at times the only thing I thought could bring me happiness. By the age of 14 I realized that I was not happy and far from comfortable with the person I had become, so I decided to change things. One of the first steps in this process was to control my appetite for food. It started small (eating a few bites less each meal) and over the years has become part of who I am. I continue to enjoy the things most people enjoy, but for the most part I know when to stop, I can control myself. Because of this control I have been able to find other things that make me happy. I have lost weight, and yes that is beneficial, but more than anything, I have gained a little more confidence in myself and am more comfortable with who I am.

Although this may seem simple to some, and may not be exactly what Elder Nelson is talking about, it is important to me. I believe that because I have chosen to control my appetite with food I will live a longer healthier life and will have much more joy while I live it. Who knows, perhaps this one area of self-mastery in my life has led to many others and I didn't even realize it. I know I have a long ways to go when it comes to "self-mastery", but I will continue to work on keeping my "desires, appetites and passions....within the bounds the Lord has set."

Just for fun, I thought I would share a "before" and an "after" picture. The first was taken when I was 13, right before my brother left on his mission, the second was the end of last year, 2014. Although I may be more confident and comforable, I am grateful for the 13-year-old girl then who has helped me become my 30-year-old self now. :)


1 comment:

Hassell's 5 said...

You are an awesome lady, Mary!