Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Dinner Service

Tonight Wes and I fed 5 households.

It all started when I signed us up to feed the missionaries a few weeks ago. On Sunday Wes came home and told me he offered to help a family in the ward with dinner on Wednesdays because the mom is single and doesn't get home till late. Then on Monday I saw a neighbor of ours whose daughter has been in the hospital for 4 months and asked if we could drop dinner by sometime this week, turns out Wednesday worked out best. And of course, since we had so much food, I couldn't help but to call my mom and ask if we could bring her dinner as well.It was a busy afternoon, food was everywhere and the kitchen was a bit of a mess, but it was fun and Wes enjoyed acting like he was on the Iron Chef.

I know that dinner is a small thing, but I also know that everytime we provide a meal for another family my day is brighter. Even after a day like today where the kids were crazy and Wes and I argued, by the end everything was a little better. Service does wonders to the soul.

I found a quote tonight that I wanted to share that goes along with this post. It puts into one brief paragraph what service means. Derek Cuthbert said, "Service changes people. It refines, purifies, gives a finer perspective, and brings out the best in each one of us. It gets us looking outward instead of inward. It prompts us to consider others’ needs ahead of our own. Righteous service is the expression of true charity, such as the Savior showed."

May we all be changed by service.

No comments: