Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Good, Better, Best

Another busy day. Between work, kids homework, dentist appointments, tending kids, cleaning the house, being on-call, trying to exercise (emphasis on trying), scripture study and journal entries, I feel like I'm stretched so thin. The crazy part is, even if I didn't have all of this to do, I would still probably fill my days/hours with other things. I think a lot of women (and men) are the same way and I don't think that it is necessarily a bad thing as long as we are keeping our focus on what is most important.

Elder Oaks gave an excellent talk on this subject in October 2007 called Good, Better, Best. He starts out by saying "Most of us have more things expected of us than we can possibly do. As breadwinners, as parents, as Church workers and members, we face many choices on what we will do with our time and other resources." In the next paragraph he states, "We should begin by recognizing the reality that just because something is good is not a sufficient reason for doing it. The number of good things we can do far exceeds the time available to accomplish them. Some things are better than good, and these are the things that should command priority attention in our lives."

Every time I read this talk I am reminded that although I may fill my life with "good" things, am I really filling it with the "best" things? Probably not. This will most likely be a life long lesson for me as I learn to prioritize the "good, better and best" things, but I'm grateful that each day I can continue to try.

One thing I do know, now that we are nearly half way through this health challenge, I realize it has helped me tremendously in putting scripture study and journaling as a priority. I truly feel that these 2 things have been the "best" things I could have done in my life as I have faced great trials the last few weeks. How grateful I am to my friend for challenging me to do this, who knew it would be such a blessing in my life. May I continue to do good things, with a focus on the "best" things.

Here is the link to the article for those who are interested in reading the entire talk. Good Better Best

And just because I couldn't help it, here are some of the other "best" things in my life. :)



No comments: